Thursday, January 22, 2009

Person at the Window - 76


Person at the Window, Salvador Dali, c. 1925
In general I'm not a huge fan of Dali's work. Most of the time I find it disturbing and just a little too surreal for my taste, but I was pleased to come across one that I actually liked, so I thought I'd learn a little more about it.
Dali painted this piece showing his sister Ana Maria looking out at Spain's Bay of CandaquƩs as an expression of his love for the place where he would spend his summers. It's a departure from his usually violent use of colours and bizarre imagery and conveys a sense of peace and calm.
Apparently Ana Maria was Dali's only female model until he married his wife, Gala, in 1929. Later, Ana Maria wrote a book that showed Dali in an unflattering light and in 1954 he created a new version of this work entitled, 'Young Virgin Buggered by Her Own Chastity'. Apparently this is not someone who's bad side you want to be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment