Friday, January 2, 2009

La Scapigliata - 76



La Scapigliata, Leonardo da Vinci, c. 1508



So basically I suck. It's the 22, so I should have done three of these by now. In fact, I even started writing this one on the 2. Alright, I can get back to this.

I have always loved this piece by da Vinci, so I figured it was time that I actually learn a little something about it. La Scapigliata apparently means 'a woman uncombed', which seems appropriate for this beautiful creature with unruly curls. This is also something I can relate to. ;)

Why this piece is important: Da Vinci was truly a pioneer in many fields. He was an inventive genius who was able to bring new perspective and vision to life, challenging preconceived notions at every turn. In a time when women were considered inferior to men, he depicted them as beautiful, intelligent and equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment